Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Savory Lentil Soup for my Two Actual Readers

Today I found a comment on my blog from an unidentified person in England. So, now I have *two* actual readers -- and they're both from England. I must apologize for not being very good at describing the differences between American and English ingredients. However, I'm at a disadvantage, because I've only been to England once and some of the food stuffs there were completely new to me. My English friend, CG, makes the best sticky-toffee-pudding with double cream in the entire world:)

Anyway, here is another slow cooker recipe that is easy to toss together, can be assembled as vegetarian and is low in fat.

Savory Lentil and Canadian Bacon Soup

Lentils are ideal for cooking in a slow cooker because they don't require soaking as do most dried beans and peas. They grayish green lentils are most familiar, but look for other colors such as white, yellow and red for something different.

Canadian-style bacon is a closer kin to ham than regular bacon (or what the English people call 'streaky bacon'). Canadian-style bacon is taken from the lean, tender eye of the loin so it is also lower in fat, and it is fully cooked. However, if you have left over ham, go ahead and use 1 1/2 cups instead. If you prefer a vegetarian version, leave the Canadian bacon out. Personally, cook the beans with the bacon and I just let my daughter pick it out.

1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils (2 1/4 cups) dried lentils, sorted and rinsed.
2 cans (14.5 ounces each)ready-to-serve vegetable broth
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (one cup)
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (one cup)
1 medium onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 medium stalk of celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
4 cups water (personally, I use broth instead of water for more flavor)
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mix everything together in your slow cooker for about 8-9 hours on low. I like to toss together my slow cooker recipies the night before or in the morning. Serve with warmed, crusty french bread and a green salad.

2 comments:

CG said...

Oh that sounds good and easy!! I love soup recipes.

Anonymous said...

I love lentils, and put them in most soups I make,they always give a nice richness.
I make soup regularly, and usually freeze it in small quantities,it is such an easy and enjoyable lunch.
My favorite at the moment is butternut squash and sweet potatoe,with a little celery and carrott thrown in. I also add abit of chilli,nutmeg and ground coriander seed to give it a little spice...yummy.
Will try your soup,do you have a recipie for meat loaf? I have always wanted to try making one.
Best Wishes.