Monday, March 17, 2008

Desperation Dinner

So I'm not perfect. My best laid plains go haywire sometimes. Things just did not go as planned today. I had to stay at work longer than expected, and my daughter's softball game went into extra innings. When I finally got home, I had to think fast as to what to pull together for dinner.

I had a couple of chicken breasts in the fridge. Quickly scanning the cupboards, I found a package of instant mashed potatoes. I also had some frozen peas in the freezer.

I cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and dipped them in raw egg, and then coated with a bread crumb and corn meal mixture. I wish I could actually point to a recipe, but all I did was crack a couple of eggs into a bowl and lightly beat them. I then dipped the chicken pieces into the egg bath and coated them with a crumb mixture of about 1/4 cup corn meal and 1 cup breadcrumbs.

I then placed the coated chicken pieces into a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil and butter and cooked about 4 minutes on each side.

In the meantime, I prepared the instant mashed potatoes (the ones you can get at Costco are really quite tolerable and are made from real ingredients: I promise). I took some frozen peas and nuked them warm. Presto. Desperation dinner.

Dip the chicken nuggets in bbq sauce, Ranch dressing, or honey mustard. yummmmmm

No, this is not a gourmet, company dinner. However, it fills the bellies without complaints and is quick and easy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes think that these sort of meals are surprisingly nice, and you can often develop them into something even better when you have more time.
I enjoy your blog, down to earth good ideas, even though, being in England I don't always understand some of the ingredients.
Best Wishes.

CG said...

I would have just grilled the chicken. You're more inventive!!