Saturday, March 8, 2008

Come On Over!

Yesterday the phone rang about 5:30 PM. It was a dear friend of mine. "What are guys doing tomorrow night Do you want to come on over for a barbecue? The S's are free as well, and I thought we all could get together. Come on over!"

Music to my ears. A relaxed atmosphere, good food, and good friends are always welcome in my world.

I offered to bring my famous baked beans as a side dish. This was met with much enthusiasm as the S family loves them. Actually, I stole the recipe from my sister-in-law, so I can't claim any credit. However, I'm still flattered when people specifically request them.

A's Baked Beans:

4 - 16oz cans B&M Beans
1 onion chopped
1/2 pound bacon cut into small pieces

Saute the bacon and onion in a fry pan until *almost* burned.

Open the bean cans and empty into a 9x11 baking dish. Add to beans:
4 tablespoons bbq sauce
2 tsp. Worchestire sauce
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 tsp. mustard

When bacon and onion are cooked, add to bean pan mixture. Stir together and bake uncovered in a low oven (about 250*) for about 3 hours.

Amazingly simple, but rave reviews each time.

When we arrived at our friend's home, I was met at the door with M still in her sweats and hoodie. She ran out of time and didn't change into regular clothing or have time to fix herself. S arrived wearing her sheepskin slippers, sweats and hoodie. What a wonderful thing -- all of us can arrive as we are, don't care what the others are wearing, and just sit around, eat, drink, and have some good laughs.

I needed to use one of M's platters for an appetizer I brought, and M pulled it out of her cupboard, blew away the dust that had accumulated on it, and handed it to me with an ear-to-ear grin that only true friends could get away with. I wouldn't have it any other way. M and S are genuine friends, and we are totally comfortable in each others' homes and there is no need to try to put on a show or pretend to be perfect.

1 comment:

CG said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all!!!