Saturday, March 29, 2008

Get the Family Involved

I've just returned from being out of state for 4 days. In a perfect world, the house would have been spotless, and all of the groceries would have been purchased, sorted, and put away. I can hear laughter from around the world.

Today I'm very tired and jet-lagged. My 19 year-old offered to cook dinner tonight. I'm glad, because dinner just wasn't going to happen. It would have been scrounging the freezer for miscellaneous items, and shaking the bread crumbs out of the toaster for tonight's meal.

My point is, the kids learn just from watching you cook over the years, even if they're not actively involved in the cooking process nightly. They will learn how to toss some ingredients together for a meal. My 19 year-old is making Japanese food tonight. Where his passion for the Japanese culture came from is a mystery to both my husband and I. We've given our 19 year-old the nickname "The Caucasian Asian."

After a good night's rest, I'll be able to regroup and get the grocery list and menus for the week plotted. The best thing yet is that we escaped the dreaded drive-thru with their meals of salt and fat.

1 comment:

CG said...

I wish I'd been there for the Japanese food!