Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Garden

Before I get into the garden, CG asked whether or not I had that sweet potato dish with marshmallow on top. I have. It's a Thanksgiving side dish staple.

It's spring here in Sonoma County, and all the signs of renewed life are all around us. All the trees are in bloom, the days are getting longer, and my roses are showing signs of producing big blooms.

That brings us to the garden. I must mention that the American definition of 'garden' is the place where vegetables are planted. When I visited England, they referred to the garden as inclusive of everything outside of their back door.

My husband's hobby is planting and tending to the garden. Today he is planting seeds. He's planting: spinach, cucumber, green onions, bell peppers, zuchinni, tomatoes, corn, sweet peas, and I forget what else is on his list. He also tends to an herb garden for me that includes: sage, thyme, rosemary, and basil.

When everything comes to season, it's like have an on-demand grocery store in the back yard. Everything is so fresh. There is no comparison to home grown vegetables to the ones you get in the store. My husband does not use any chemicals whatsoever in the garden, so we know the growing conditions are natural.

We make a good team.... He plants and tends to the garden, and I cook everything up. I recommend doing a garden even if you have only a small space. There is something very soothing to the soul about it as well....

No comments: