Friday, March 21, 2008

Meatloaf

It seems the two readers of this blog enjoy soup recipes, as do I. I love getting ideas from others as well for new ideas to try. So, thank you CG and Anonymous for your input.

One of my two readers requested a meatloaf recipe. I will post one somewhat hesitantly, as the recipes for meatloaf are endless and the variations too many to count. I also hesitate knowing that American ketchup (or catsup) tastes differently than English ketchup. The ketchup topping could be omitted, I suppose, or substituted with a healthy basting of barbecue sauce.

At any rate, here is a basic, basic meatloaf. We enjoy our meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas. I also have a recipe for a LARGE batch of meatloaf that I mix and then package up into family sized portions and freeze in gallon-sized zip lock bags (takes less room in the freezer) so all I have to do is thaw, plop in a dish, and bake.

Basic Meatloaf: Single Meal

2/3 cup bread crumbs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 pound quality ground beef
2 eggs slightly beaten
1/4 finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sage
a little pinch of crushed, dried thyme
a little pinch of crushed, dried marjoram

Soak breadcrumbs in milk. Add meat, eggs, onion and seasonings. Place in greased baking dish (I use a bread pan). Bake in moderate oven (350*) for 50-60 minutes.

Add the following ingredients together and pour over meatloaf about 15 minutes prior to meatloaf being done and return to oven to bake off:

3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard

When the meatloaf bug strikes our house, like I mentioned above, I have a recipe for a LARGE batch. Play with the seasonings to fit your family's taste buds before delving into producing massive quantities.

While I'm doing the meatloaf manufacturing gig, I will also make a LARGE batch of mashed potatoes at the same time. When the potatoes have cooled, I place them into meal portions in gallon sized zip lock bags (I will double bag them to prevent leaks) and freeze flat like a pancake. Upon thawing, the mashed potatoes will look like a watery mess, but don't worry -- just put them in a microwavable bowl and microwave on high for a few minutes. They fluff right up and taste like fresh.

The more meals I can get out of a single cooking session the better. Cooking is enjoyable, but sometimes our schedules can get harried and having meals ready to pull out of the freezer is a life saver. Another added bonus of ready-to-go-meals: NO POTS TO CLEAN:)

2 comments:

CG said...

I will try this; I've always hankered after meatloaf. It seems so quintessentially American. Have you ever made sweet potatoes with marshmallow topping? I believe that's a traditional dish but I can't imagine it, somehow...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the meatloaf recipe, I shall be trying it out very soon.
Hope you had a lovely Easter, we had lots of snow, so I made soup for my guests on Saturday lunch time,and thought about your recent blog.
Perhaps if you do one on Summer Salads we might get some warm sunshine.
England has such a strange climate, it was actually warm enough to sit outside in February!!
Best Wishes.