Sunday, July 6, 2008

Easy Entertaining

Inviting guests over doesn't have to lead to a major anxiety attack on your part. With the price of everything going through the roof, socializing is becoming more personal with entertaining at home as meeting at a restaurant has just become too darned expensive.

Fear not. You *can* have people over and have a good time. No, I'm not Martha Stewart. I don't pretend I am. Here's how I figured out (through much trial and error I might add) to put together an evening.

Plan your menu. If one of the guests offers to bring something, by all means, take them up on it. Shop and cook the day before the party. Granted, not all things can be pre-made, but prep as much as possible the day before. Hamburger patties can be made the day before. Most cutting and slicing of vegetables, cheese, and whatnot can be done the day before. The idea is to be able to reach for whatever and have it all ready to go.

The day of the party finish prepping any food that couldn't be prepped the night before in the morning. Get out whatever eating utensils, napkins, cups, serving bowls, etc., your going to need. THEN clean up your kitchen. The idea is to only clean up your kitchen once. I can't tell you how many times I cleaned the kitchen and then prepped my food. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Something always gets dropped or spilled during the prepping process, and I end up doing everything over again. What a waste of time and energy.

Clean only the rooms that your guests will see. Don't worry about bedrooms and such. That is last on your priority list. Having guests does not mean your house is on display. Don't feel obligated to give guests a "tour." Simply close the door. No explanation is necessary. If you're prodded for a tour, state that your not ready to show yet and that it will be something to look forward to on a subsequent visit, then immediately change the subject.

Clearing dishes is fodder for ettiquite debate. There are those who believe doing household chores of any kind while guests are present is strictly forbidden. I suppose they're right, but who wants to be cleaning the kitchen late into the evening after everybody leaves? Here's how I sneak around that little rule...

Always, ALWAYS make sure your dishwasher (or sink) is empty and ready for dirty dishes *before* you serve your meal. Know where your tupperware (or storage bowls) for leftovers are, and have them poised and ready. After the meal, I have my husband show our guests his garden. This is where I spring into action. I quickly collect the plates and eating utensils, and place them into the dishwasher. It's done before anybody even realizes what's happening. Every so often I get a clever wife who's hip to my trick -- and she will offer to assist me. I always initially decline the help, but if she's persistent I will assign her a kitchen task. We usually end up talking in the kitchen and cleaning it up isn't such a chore.

After dinner we will have a game of cards or whatever. Sometimes we just talk. I like to have background music going as well. Pick music that is fun, but not overpowering. Last night all of us (including the kids and adults) had some fun bombing each other with water balloons.

Most importantly, don't fret if your house isn't perfect. Who's is? I used to go into a tizzy fit thinking that everything had to be *perfect* in order to have anybody over. It was never perfect, and nobody cared that it wasn't.

What was my menu last night? It was:

Marinated tri-tip (marinated the day before or longer)
hamburgers (patties made the day before and condiments prepped)
hot dogs
potato salad (made the day before)
baked beans (prepped the day before but baked the day of)
Orzo pasta salad (brought by one of the guests)
watermelon (cut-up the morning of)
grapes
potato chips
dip (prepped the day before)
brie cheese and crackers
Chocolate kahlua cake (brought by one of the guests)

1 comment:

CG said...

go on, make me jealous, yum yum!