Friday, June 27, 2008

The Internet is Your Friend

Sometimes I do "reverse" meal planning. What I mean by "reverse" is that the normal way is that usually people plan their meals, make their shopping list, and then get their groceries.

We all know that life happens, and our best meal planning intentions get waylaid. When that happens, go to "reverse" meal planning.

I *always* recommend keeping staples on hand like bread, milk, eggs, potatoes, etc. even if you don't have an immediate idea for how you'll use them. For "reverse" meal planning, scan your pantry for stuff you have on hand, and then use the internet to find a recipe so you can use what you already HAVE instead of making another trip to the grocery store.

For instance: Tonight I had on hand fresh zucchini, eggs, breadcrumbs. Doesn't sound like meal material. However, I Googled "baked breaded zucchini" and immediately an easy-to-follow recipe popped up that is promising to be satisfying and healthy.

My point is to use the internet as a tool in your everyday cooking. We have a computer and work desk in our kitchen area, and it's the best thing we've ever done. Even if you don't have a computer in your kitchen, using the internet for 'reverse' cooking is a lifesaver when going out to the grocery store just isn't going to happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your idea of 'reverse' meal planning! Sometimes my freezer or pantry get too full or things have been in there too long (from sales, or didn't follow menu plan, etc.) this is an excellent way to use what I have. Thank you!
Liz