Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Too Hot to Eat

Ever feel like ditching cooking when it's 100* plus outside? I certainly do. Salads are a main course in this household in the summertime. With all of the fresh veggies from the garden, why not? It's light but filling, and doesn't heat up the kitchen.

A lot of times I'll cook a couple of whole chickens on Sunday, and take the left overs for salads and sandwiches for the next few days. Why heat up the house and "cook" every night?

My husband tends to a vegetable garden and I'm fortunate to have fresh spinach, butter lettuce, and other types of greens in addition to green peppers, green onions, tomatoes, and zuchinni.

I will simply go out to the garden and bring in a bunch of veggies and wash them. I will toss them into a large salad bowl and top with any leftover meat, crumbled bacon, or whatever else I have on hand. If I have croutons, I will also toss those in as well. Done.

1 comment:

CG said...

I am growing salad leaves :) My toms are still only flowers!! It's so chilly hear today I'm off for a bowl of soup to warm myself up LOL