Friday, May 9, 2008

Taco Friday

Again, it was taco Friday in our household. As usual, several "extras" appeared from the neighborhood and extended family to partake in the chaos and festivities.

Tonight's tacos consisted of:

browned, seasoned ground beef
shredded cheese
sour cream
quacamole
sliced, black olives
salsa
lettuce
diced tomatoes
diced onions

I fried up 48 corn tortillias in hot oil on the stove. Here's how I do it. I heat about 1 inch of canola oil in a small frying pan. When the oil is hot, I add one corn tortillia. I let it fry flat in the hot oil for about 10 seconds, and then, using two forks, flip it over and double back literally folding it in half creating that familiar 'taco shell' U shape. I let it fry for about 15 seconds, and then flip it over and fry for an additional ten seconds or so. I then remove it from the hot oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the grease.

Yes, you could buy pre-made taco shells at the store, but I think they're terrible and they crumble into messy bits when you bit into them.

To serve with tonight's tacos, I made a side dish of Mexican rice. I also made a side dish of refried beans with a sprinkle of cheese on top. The beans disappeared quickly, and I made another batch of them for my hungry guests.

When it's dinner time, I set out all of the taco ingredients out to create a "build-your-own-taco-bar." I find when people select their own ingredients to put in their tacos, it's always a hit as they can add or delete ingredients according to their own taste buds.

I didn't have any left overs. I ALWAYS take that as a compliment.

1 comment:

CG said...

I can testify to the delciousness of this meal!!