Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Six Ingredients or Less

That's my mantra when selecting recipes for dinner. In fact, I bought a cookbook with that title about 17 years ago, and it's one that I would save in a fire. It's been lovingly used, complete with food stains and paper discoloration, but it's been a savior many a night when time was critical and ingredients on hand few. The internet is full of tasty meal ideas with few ingredients, so nose around and explore. Here's a chicken recipe that's easy -- the trick is to allow yourself enough cooking time. If you know you're going to have a full day I often put this together in the morning, place it in the oven, and set my oven timer to start the cooking process before I get home.

Maple Sauce Chicken

1 chicken cut up
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Wash chicken and pat dry. Place onion slices in a buttered 9x13 baking dish. Arrange chicken on top, skin side up. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over top. Bake at 350* for 60-70 minutes or until nicely glazed, basting frequently with the sauce. Makes 4 servings.

If you don't have a rice cooker, I recommend getting one -- yes, it goes against my anti-clutter philosophy, but *some* gadgets are good to have.

Serve with rice (I recommend Japanese rice) and toss some frozen vegtables in the microwave and you have yourself a complete meal.

1 comment:

CG said...

I'm glad you love rice cookers too. I'm so glad I bought mine. It makes the most delicious rice. What is Japanese rice? Is it flavoured or plain? Must try that chicken recipe!