Friday, June 5, 2009

Function Overload: Brownies to the Rescue

This time of year there is an endless stream of parties. Between the graduations, promotions, end-of-school-year parties, bbq's, and end-of-season sport functions, I'm TIRED. We have been on the go for two weeks straight.

I always get called to bring a food something to a function. I really don't mind cooking, but my friend taught me a new trick for when I'm just too tired to really put any effort into cooking.

My friend is a really good cook. She knows some terrific short cuts. She told me that when I'm called to bring something, offer to bring brownies. Why? Because she goes to Safeway (one of the main grocery stores around here) and buys about 20 boxes of the brownie mix when it's on sale for about $1.25 a box. That's a very good deal.

To whip up a box of brownies is NO EFFORT AT ALL. If you can crack two eggs, measure out 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, and mix it up, you're in.

What my friend does to give them special appeal is that she sprinkles chocolate chips on top of the brownies before they go into the oven.

Yummmm....... chewy, rich, home-made tasting brownies with no fuss. All in 30 minutes or less. I'm not joking.

I brought these brownies to a function recently and they all disappeared despite other brownies present. I take that as the highest of all compliments:)

1 comment:

CG said...

I'm so glad you posted here again...I buy Ghiradeli brownie mix at Costco, it is really delicious.