Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Double Duty

Another one of my favorite tricks is that I try never to cook just one meal. If I'm making lasagne, I'll make a double batch: one for eating, and another to put in the freezer for a future meal.

It's really no extra work to double a recipe and freeze it for later. The mess is already there, so why not make use of it? I tend not to attempt to triple recipes (unless I'm really familiar with them) as tripling skews the ingredient/spice ratio and can throw off the flavor and/or texture.

Another example of cooking for more than one meal is roasting a turkey (or whole chickens) for multiple meals. We can have a turkey dinner one night, and then use the leftover meat for the next few days for sandwiches, the carcass for soup, and some other left over meat for turkey enchiladas, turkey divine, stir-fry, etc.

Lesson for the day: Try to cook more than one meal at a time. Think ahead as to what you can use left overs for. To many people, the term 'left over' has negative connotations.' Maybe I should use the term "pre-cooked," "recipe ready," or "ready made," instead. Isn't that what you're paying the big bucks for at the grocery store for the convenience of "ready made" food? Think about it -- you're paying a premium price for somebody else's leftovers. Wouldn't you rather use your own? It's a lot like underwear.....

1 comment:

CG said...

Good thinking. Something I've been doing lately is making a pot of soup for S to snack on for a few days. It's better for her than chips and cookies!